…and how to deal with a knocked-out tooth (:
There are more than 5 million teeth knocked out every year. Most people agree that soaking a knocked out tooth in water is the best temporary solution, but this far from the truth!
Whether you are on the ball field, at your favorite steak restaurant, munching on chips & “guac” or playing games at the beach, it is important to know how to best react in the case of a knocked out tooth!
1. Always pick up the tooth by the crown and not by the root. This is because the root is most easily damaged.
2. If the tooth is dirty, rinse it with water. ONLY WATER (: Avoid soaking it in water, drying it, scrubbing it or wrapping it in cloth.
3. If you are able, re-position the tooth back into the socket. The tooth will have a higher likelihood of survival if it is quickly returned to its home.
4. If you are unable to re-position the tooth back into the socket, let the tooth soak in milk or emergency “save-a-tooth” solution. You can also store your tooth in the pocket of your own cheek, in order to prevent it from drying out!(: Water is the worst solution for your tooth to soak in due to the surface cells of the root.
5. Contact your dentist or endodontist as soon as possible and make an appointment to have it fixed (:
Hope this helps!
P.S. Schedule an appointment with us to have your very own mouth guard made! …Steph Curry knows the importance of protecting his smile (:
Point guard for the Golden State Warriors, Steph Curry, displays his secret for maintaining a FULL smile! (A MOUTHGUARD:)